L S Lowry, Glasgow Tollbooth - A2 Print
- Worldwide shipping available
- In stock, ready to ship
- Get in touch to enquire about restocks
This is a rare painting of Glasgow by Lowry, made when he was visiting the city in 1946 - 47. It depicts Tolbooth steeple which stands at Glasgow Cross in the old heart of the city. The tower is all that remains of the building that once housed the city’s treasury and jail.
Known for his ‘matchstick’ people and townscapes featuring factories and mills, Lowry was probably attracted to the tower because it echoed the industrial chimneys of the North.
In the early 1950s Helen Kapp, Director of Wakefield Art Gallery, approached Lowry to paint a view of Wakefield for the collection. As the funds could not be found, The Tolbooth, Glasgow was bought instead from the Lowry exhibition at Wakefield Art Gallery in 1955.
Oil on board
Wakefield Permanent Art Collection (The Hepworth Wakefield)
Dimensions: 29.7 x 42 cm